The Steering Committee
The review was headed by an independent Chair, Professor David Wright, supported by a national steering committee. The committee ensured ongoing visibility of the review’s progress and provide a communications conduit for all stakeholders.
The remit of the committee was as follows:
- To oversee the delivery of the independent review from data collection, to data synthesis and final report provision.
- To direct and support external communication regarding the process
- To ensure that the final report answers the following questions:
- What is working well in LPCs and PSNC and what could be improved?
- What representation and support is needed by contractors now – and what is the future requirement likely to be?
- What are the most effective structures for current and future demand?
- How should the representation and support for contractors be financed?
- What is the best structure to ensure all contractors are represented well?
- What, if any, changes are needed now and over the life of the new Contractual Framework and beyond?
|Type of Member||Name (Declarations of Interest)|
|Independent Chair||Professor David Wright (DOI)|
|LPC Representatives||David Bearman (DOI)|
Ruth Buchan (DOI)
Vicki Roberts (DOI)
Shilpa Shah (DOI)
|Contractor Representatives (Multiple)||Mark Ireland (DOI)|
Adrian Price (DOI)
|Contractor Representatives (Independents)||Asif Alidina (DOI)|
Reena Barai (DOI)
|Contractor Representative (non-CCA multiple)||Peter Cattee (DOI)|
|PSNC Representative||PSNC Chief Executive Simon Dukes (DOI)|
|Local Optical Committee (LOC) Representative||Richard Whittington (DOI)|
|NHS England and NHS Improvement (NHSE&I) Representative||Deputy Chief Pharmaceutical Officer Bruce Warner or other representative|
Engagement with stakeholders
The review team heard from LPCs and contractors. A series of focus groups were held in January 2020 and national surveys and more in-depth interviews were held in February 2020.